February 26, 2015

Back from Tucson, Arizona

Greetings, everyone -- I apologize for my tardiness in making new posts. I'd just come back from visiting Tucson, AZ. Unfortunately, I do not have any ugly motel room postcards from there, but I do have a few cool postcards to post:

Tucson Inn
Tucson, AZ
1960's?

Look at that awesome googie-style sign on this motel. The description on the back bragged that it was one of Arizona's largest motels at the time, with 216 rooms. If you look this up on Google Maps (127 W. Drachman St, Tucson, AZ), you will be amazed to discover that not only the motel is there, that sign is also there, clearly visible in Street View. Unfortunately, it sounds as if the motel has fallen on hard times, based on what reviews I can find. (Note: as far as I can tell, the motel is still in business, but you can't book it online, which is kind of telling.) One Yelp reviewer described a night there as "straight out of Hunter S. Thompson's drug-addled mind." (See the Yelp reviews here.)

 


Greyhound Park
Tucson, AZ
1950's or 1960's

While I'm not necessarily a fan of dog-racing, this is a cool building, especially at night. The tower reminds me of Lakeside Amusement Park in Denver, Colorado. While the track appears to be still in business, I couldn't tell if that building is still there. If anyone knows, please let me know in the comments.


 Ginling Restaurant
Tucson, AZ
Mailed in 1948

Check out that cool Art Deco building above, with all these glass bricks, curved corners, streamlines and round-end window. Though it is kind of obvious that this place served Chinese food based on the interior decor and the styling of the Ginling sign, note that it says "American Dishes" above the window, as if to reassure less-adventurous white diners that their stomachs won't be assaulted by chop suey and egg rolls. Unfortunately, this postcard doesn't supply a street address, so there is no way for me to tell what happened to this amazing building. Also, there doesn't appear to be any restaurant named Ginling in Tucson today, which isn't too surprising. If you know anything about this building or restaurant, please let me know in the comments.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment