January 14, 2015

Room Fit for a Caveman with Refined Taste



Madonna Inn
San Luis Obispo, CA
1970's?
Room 139 ("The Flintstone")

No motel room postcard blog is complete without at least one postcard from the legendary motel, Madonna Inn, and I'll be posting more in the future. In case you are not familiar with this place, it is a motel in San Luis Obispo, California with 110 rooms, all decorated differently, often with a specific theme. Kind of like the American answer to Asian love hotels, though I don't think you can rent these rooms by the hour. :-)

The first post is for the room 139 ("The Flintstone"). Judging from the different bedspreads, I would say these 2 postcards were published in different years. Feast your eyes on these wild bedspreads, rock walls, blue carpet and light blue ceiling. I'll let the description on the back of one of the cards speak for it:
Leaded glass windows in this tower-level rock room (Hilltop Unit), depict of course, the fun-loving Flintstones! The room is very spacious, and is furnished with two king-sized beds with zebra designed bed spreads. ABA-DABBA-DO!
 I tried to find out the fate of this room, but couldn't find it on the site. I'll try to find out more later, but I suspect the room 139 has changed names. (ETA 2/14/2015: I just found out that the room is now called "Jungle Rock" and the current page on this room can be found here. It looks as if the room hasn't changed much except for minor decor changes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment